Can We Drink Rainwater, and Should We?
It is that time of year again, when we all begin to sweat out the fluids we have chosen to put in our bodies. Which for most of us, more often than not, is water.
It’s also the time of year where we are in a position to collect water for free from the sky.
- But can we drink it? And should we?
There is nothing inherently unsafe or wrong with drinking rainwater, as long as it’s clean. In fact, all the water we drink was rainwater at one point on its journey to our insides.
That said, not all rainwater is safe to drink.
Unsafely collecting and storing rainwater can increase the risk of contaminants, such as animal feces or heavy metals, contain parasites, harmful bacteria, and viruses. Quickly turning fresh, clean rainwater into a potential health hazard.
According to the Australian national centre for disease, rainwater that is collected for drinking purposes should be filtered, disinfected, and tested regularly.
Thus, it is not advisable to start collecting and drinking rainwater without a reliable collection, treatment, and testing system in place before you drink it.
Certain types of bacteria, viruses, or parasites can be eliminated by boiling the water, but others may require chemical treatment before the water is safe to drink.
To eliminate chemical contaminants like heavy metals, you may also need to use a water filtration system.
If you’re unable to effectively carry out these processes, it’s recommended that you only use collected rainwater for other purposes, such as gardening, washing clothes, or bathing.
But Sure… you can enjoy free water…
Just give Ben a call on 0419197793 to discuss what filter and storage options available have been proven successful in our climate and can be tailored to suit your individual needs so you can be 100% certain your water is clean and safe for human consumption.
Drinking plenty of clean water, regardless of the source, is a great way to stay hydrated and support your health.